Friday, August 30, 2013

What All Happened Last Week, Part 1

We had a rough week last week, and I talked and explained, both in person and on Facebook, until I was tired of talking about it, but I'll go ahead and talk about it again anyway, because this is real life. This is the way things really happen in this crazy, mixed up world.

Sunday night my husband turns to me and says, "I think Allie is dying." Allie is our yellow lab who is probably mixed with something else, but we don't know what. Allie is the first dog I remember owning. She's suffered from ear infections almost her entire life, and we've never had the funds available to do anything about it. I hate how she sheds, hate how she makes my house smell, hate how she sometimes keeps me awake at night with the noises she makes, hate that she doesn't get the care from us that she should. All the same, I love my dog. I do not want her to die so soon. Not like this. But I don't want her to suffer either.

Monday morning the entire right side of her face was swollen huge, and there was a never-ending string of drool hanging from her lips. Michael took her to the vet. I was anxious while he was gone, wondering whether she would come home with him at all, trying instead to focus on what the boys and I were doing in school. She did come home with him. There were medicines we would try. We'd see what happened, and take her back on Wednesday.

Monday afternoon Michael and I watched the Doctor Who finale for the most current season. I cried a lot. It's was one of those really good, emotional episodes, and every incarnation of the Doctor was referenced.

Monday afternoon I bumped my head really hard on the door handle to the freezer, so hard that I wound up in the floor weeping for at least five minutes. It really hurt. My boys gathered around me wanting to help, but there was nothing they could do.

Monday afternoon, maybe thirty minutes later, I'm cooking bacon and starting to dice an onion for collard greens when I hear a crash followed by my four year old son screaming, my six year old calling for help. I run to the living room only to find my youngest on the floor, the right side of his head covered in blood. I scream for my husband to come quickly, while I run to the bathroom for a washcloth with which to wipe the blood away. He has an ugly gash on his temple, less than half an inch across, but gaping, with a puncture where his head hit the corner of the coffee table. After the emotional trauma of morning and afternoon, I am not prepared to handle this calmly. It is a mercy that my husband works only feet away

We spend the rest of the evening in the Emergency Room. He's fine. No problem. Nothing to worry about. Man stuff, as my brother tells me. My oldest child and I manage to have fun in the waiting room while my husband waits for the doctor with my little one. We play the dot game. We open and start Life of Fred Apples, and he doesn't even seem to mind having to work a few problems after every chapter. We read Magic Treehouse. The kids are in bed by 10.

And then on Tuesday I am attacked by a large and strangely aggressive cock roach.

1 comment:

kathi harper hill said...

I was fine until you said the words: attacked and cock roach.